We are moving the servers to UK

jenz

UNLOZE Founder
Leader
Oct 11, 2016
denmarkland
As most of you who actually play actively should have realized we have been plagued by routing issues since a longer time now. Due to ovh not fixing the problem in their german datacenter are we now making the move to their UK datacenters. The point is that you sometimes ingame experience lag and cant hear others over voice chat. The move has the intention to cover this problem. I know zombie escape currently still has a problem where random crashes happen but i am making the move a larger priority first off so that we hopefully for good are free of these lag spikes that appear ever so often.

I am as usual in a rush because exams are right around the corner and i prefer to focus on them but the routing issues have appeared more violently lately again. Same with the ze server crashing since saturday event also being a rather big problem.

The new ze ip will be 51.195.188.106:27015. you can figure out the ZR and mg port as they stay the same too.

Hopefully its better then. But wouldnt it be smarter to use a whole different server host company to begin with, seeing as this company let you down and provides a shoddy service?

dev, mg, zr, ze and ze2 have been moved. jb and gg have been left in the dust.
There are still several things left to do like moving the fastdl over to the new host or getting torchlight to work again. but for now the servers are probably playable again. so lets cross fingers that we do not get anymore fucking routing issues on the new host. Steam should by itself update your favorites list inside of the next 24 hours.

Further more on ze we updated the mapchooser restrictions to carter more towards tryhard maps again. We might edit it further but we are trying to distance ourselves for the time being from classic/casual maps and instead focusing more on tryhard maps.

There is still probably a crashing issue looming on ze that i have to continue investigating since its been a problem for 2 days now.

Hello @jenz ,

Be aware that the best peering with OVH goes through France because OVH has its own network with its own dedicated fibers. In other countries, it's much more opaque, generally involving shared networks (fiber).

For Asian players, I think that placing a server in London will just add more latency since most connections from Asia come through Marseille.

Don't hesitate if you need a hand, as veterans, we should help each other to keep ZE alive on CSS.

Reactions: Harraga and jenz
Hello @jenz ,

Be aware that the best peering with OVH goes through France because OVH has its own network with its own dedicated fibers. In other countries, it's much more opaque, generally involving shared networks (fiber).

For Asian players, I think that placing a server in London will just add more latency since most connections from Asia come through Marseille.

Don't hesitate if you need a hand, as veterans, we should help each other to keep ZE alive on CSS.
thank you very much cmer i really appreciate that. I think for the time being we are okay with the UK location. The primary motivation for moving was honestly just to get away from the limburg datacenter in germany because we experienced issues since February.
At random times every player on the ze server would experience huge packet loss towards the ovh machine. If i tried during those moments to connect with SSH it would simply freeze 10-20 seconds.

I was in contact with ovh customer support for multiple days, did all the information gathering that they demanded from me in rescue mode and at the end they gave me the following link: https://bare-metal-servers.status-ovhcloud.com/incidents/jzhf9pv1lcb3
We waited 15 days but after they marked it as solved the issue still continued.

Moving the server to UK was a risky bet because we could have the exact same issue over here but so far it looks safe. If we move in the future it will probably be back to france again.
Thank you for clarying about the network. i will ask you in the future about the differences between the roubaix, strassbourg and graveline locations if we need to move again :)

I'm really sorry to hear that Unloze has had such issues with the Limburg datacenter...

If the problem happens again, I'd be more than happy to help you with a network diagnostic. Some shit OVH servers use network cards that don't always play nice with certain Linux drivers, which can sometimes cause huge lags. I've had this issue with a server in Quebec before. It might be worth checking if a similar problem is affecting your server.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if it happens again. I can try to pull some strings with my contacts inside OVH to escalate your issue more effectively. In the meantime, good luck with the server in the UK, and I hope it continues to run smoothly. If you ever need info on different datacenters like Roubaix, Strasbourg, or Gravelines later on, I'll be here to give you all the info you need. :)

Reactions: masotflikr and jenz