Rating or seeing how popular maps are

Lambda

!brainpower
Retired Admin
Apr 1, 2017
The land of Zombie Escape
I would like to suggest a mod which I used on my old community server.

It is called Map Rate: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1530651

!maprate

A player types in !maprate and a menu comes up asking them to rate the map 1-5. 1 for Bad, and 5 for excellent.

ratemap_rate.png

Once they select, it brings them to the page which shows other peoples ratings of the map.

mr_maprating2.png

!maprating

Typing !maprating brings you this menu:

mr_maprating.png

If you click 1, you see the ratings of the map like above. If you click 2, you can see the avearge rating of all maps on the server from the highest down:

mr_maprating4.png

The brackets are the number of people who have voted.

Mod setting

You can change the settings of the mod. So you can make the !maprate screen show after a certain amount of minutes, after death etc...Or people can just type !maprate themselves at any time, and they can even change their vote if they want (this can be controlled). Its probably a good idea to have it after infection/death on a zombie server.

Outside of game, you can create a database (information on the thread) and a PHP page which will appear as a graph. Here was my communitys map graph page:

http://www.oldschoolgamers.co.uk/ratings.php

You can perhaps link it via webshortcut ingame so people can type mapgraph or whatever and it shows.

Why this suggestion?

I think you can get a good idea of what maps are more popular and liked, and which are not. It can help decide future events. And its a cool feature on its own.

The only thing I did not like was the rating of 1 being bad and 5 being great. I would have liked that swapped but did not have the knowledge to change the mod. I'm sure you can make it even better :pogchamp:

Great suggestion, but I feel like this wouldnt fit in the server.
Many players will probably troll with the mod, choosing random ratings of the maps.

But overall good idea!

Well I guess trying once and see if people like it. Of course people could troll, but that happens at the end of map vote sometimes. I think the big majority would vote accurately if the setting to force it upon them was turned off (otherwise they might vote 1). But then, it would lead to less votes but it is better to have more votes.

its a nice suggestion but i atleast personally think it is unnecessary. Even if somebody is new to ze getting a hang of most maps does not take too long. For both events and popularity contests it is also somewhat pointless. We all probably already know which maps would get good ratings and which would get worse. And that is only assuming everybody on the server would use the plugin in a sane way. If i look at the graph you linked the highest rated map is only highest rated because only 3 people voted for it. Meanwhile stuff like ze_bathroom has a bunch of 1 rates and a few 5 ratings.

It just kinda makes the rating in itself seem pointless.

Reactions: Lambda and LoKoO
^ what jenz said.
This plugin falls into the category: "Nice to have, but just extra work for techadmins".
At the end of the day, we just get to see the popularity of a map (as a number), which most of ze players already know by now.

But I have to say that you did a good job on the suggestion itself, like showing pictures and explaining everything.

Reactions: Lambda and jenz
I've seen this plugin in use on a server I used to regular.
That being said, it devolved into a popularity contest, and most people gave 1 star ratings just for the fun of it.
This plugin will never accurately show how well made a map is, and as long as ZE is as autistic as it is, this fact remains.

Reactions: grinderp and bAka