Nosteam and Zombie Escape

jenz

UNLOZE Founder
Leader
Oct 11, 2016
denmarkland
Greetings.

We had some internal talks between techs and decided for now to remove nosteam again from zombie escape. Ze2, mg and zr should still have nosteam enabled so that nosteamers can play there.

This is a rather radical change if you are a nosteamer playing on unloze ze. However it is very unlikely that a single nosteamer who played on ze actually ever would check the forum.
First of all this is not set in stone as a permanent change. We might at any given time change our mind and revert this again so nosteamers can connect to ze again.

Now as next you might wonder why we do such a dramatic change and/or why we dont do this transparent by including the broader community/admins about it.

We want to remove nosteam again as the nosteam spoofing security in practice often means that real steam players get kicked from ze without understanding why on earth they get kicked. For normal players it should be rather difficult to understand what "auth tickets" are and how its outside our hands when steam fucks up with sending them to some steam players while they might work for others.

The point is just having nosteam enabled requires us also to run anti spoofing protection where we have to rely on steam itself. Since steam sometimes fails on its own part it means normal steam players get kicked. Now if you played on a normal server that does not have nosteam to begin with you would never have these issues since evem when steam fails the "auth ticket" for the player those servers dont need any nosteam spoofing protection and therefore can just allow the players to join despite steam failing the "auth ticket" for players.

Steam will still fail like before but since we dont have nosteam running now we dont need the nosteam anti spoof protection anymore. Therefore when steam fails the "auth tickets" you dont get kicked anymore.

Since it is a highly technical subject it makes little sense to talk with admins/players about it. The only aspect that might make sense is the question about how much we need nosteam players. However since normal players/admins cant check logs to see or know how many players are affected by the nosteam anti spoof protection they cant have an understanding of the situation.

As final words i want to mention again that we might change this again in the future to allow nosteamers on ze. For now we want to enjoy that regular steam players dont suffer from these failures anymore caused by steam itself. If we however see the population is declining too much however we might need to enable nosteam again.

Honestly, keep this forever, CSS goes on sale for 1.63€~ and if you can't pay that small amount for a game that you enjoy, then the server you play in shouldn't cater to your expectations.

Reactions: Rock Lee GreenBeast
Honestly, keep this forever, CSS goes on sale for 1.63€~ and if you can't pay that small amount for a game that you enjoy, then the server you play in shouldn't cater to your expectations.
When does the discount start?

i am willing to donate accounts if the unloze.com administrators will work with me

ps. cookie most nosteamers are from countries where u cant buy shit on steam, like russia

• Haha
Reactions: Charon IV
ps. if youre a nosteamer contact me on discord (just ask for my account in unloze discord if you cant find me) for an account with css

Well sony should had received his copy of css now. Either way we might abruptly switch back to supporting nosteam again since this first day had worse population than usual. We will see how population does tomorrow. If its also very bad tomorrow we most likely go back to enabling nosteam. In that case its just bad luck for steam players getting kicked by the anti spoof protection. Nothing to do for them then.

If population does better tomorrow than today we might wait a little more before taking action.

Reactions: SyntX
Well sony should had received his copy of css now. Either way we might abruptly switch back to supporting nosteam again since this first day had worse population than usual. We will see how population does tomorrow. If its also very bad tomorrow we most likely go back to enabling nosteam. In that case its just bad luck for steam players getting kicked by the anti spoof protection. Nothing to do for them then.

If population does better tomorrow than today we might wait a little more before taking action.
well thx jens for game and Hope things get better

I've always been against nosteam. It's a pity that nosteamers won't be able to join the server, but I think it's better for the server and the players to have this feature.

This is the only legit reason to disable nosteam. Not because some weird stereotype of them being worse. I hope it's actually needed and trust that the change will be monitored carefully.

Btw didn't jumpin get kicked yesterday during mako when steam failed the auth check?

This is the only legit reason to disable nosteam. Not because some weird stereotype of them being worse. I hope it's actually needed and trust that the change will be monitored carefully.

Btw didn't jumpin get kicked yesterday during mako when steam failed the auth check?
well thats steam kicking him instead of the anti spoof protection kicking him. Shrug.