fail nades

Jul 26, 2017
i honestly miss them. this game used to be much more fun with the public errors on them. if we take out all the fun/accidently stuff we might aswell just stop playing. no one enjoys 'leet only' servers. imo unloze is taking a wrong turn removing them from almost all the maps!

I'm a little bit out of the loop.
Were they removed completely?

There was discussion about enabling them on certain maps that they can be fun on, but there's a twist.
Manually going through every map on the server and deciding if they should be enabled is a complete chore.

If someone from the higher up team is willing to do that, these grenades could be enabled on some maps.

"Fail" grenades are disabled on hardest maps, but they are still enabled on the easy ones (licci, rooftop, etc).

Reactions: D()G@N
Fail nades and AWP´s should be disabled on the most difficult maps. We can however discuss on what maps BOTH awp´s and fail grenades should be enabled on. If there are maps that are not too tryhard and you think having both on is more fun you can suggest it to the higher up team in this topic.

Reactions: D()G@N
The thing is. They are now removed on all stage maps if im correct? This makes up like 90 percent of servertime. Practially removing them from the game all together.

As seen in the poll there are lots of users (50/50 percent outcome) who sincerely miss those accidental grenades while they do add something humorous and spicy to the game. You now leave this 50 procent high and dry.

I would suggest enable them again on all maps. And only remove them from new maps or the ones that have not yet been completed. But at the moment its way off and unfair to the ones who voted to remain having them in the poll on this forum.

Reactions: Brook and Nivinski
I think failnades should be enabled on all but the most difficult maps. And this is coming from someone who was previous not a fan of them. I do miss them.

Maybe you can rank maps by level of difficulty:

Levels 1-7 or whatever (e.g. Titanic level 1, Dark Souls 7)

And the maps in level 7 (or 6 and 7) will have fail nades off disabled.

Reactions: jenz
I think failnades should be enabled on all but the most difficult maps. And this is coming from someone who was previous not a fan of them. I do miss them.

Maybe you can rank maps by level of difficulty:

Levels 1-7 or whatever (e.g. Titanic level 1, Dark Souls 7)

And the maps in level 7 (or 6 and 7) will have fail nades off disabled.
Difficulty is not objective, specially not in CS:S ZE where the majority of remaining map makers churn out garbage copypaste item spam maps where items are the only thing that actually matters. Any team can shoot hard enough to beat these maps with the right items supporting, and its just no fun until the end where you apply the same tactics to win every single time. Boring cookiercutter strategies, but thats a bit of an offtopic rant. The point being that with not just me, but "difficulty" ordering maps would cause a lot of controversy over some maps.

(also I don't like a lot of maps *cough*)

They said the same thing about fire nades. I dont even know whether they are enabled on all maps or just level maps. I never liked the idea.

But removing failnades as u say from the server at all without the exception of certain maps is crap imo.

The point being that with not just me, but "difficulty" ordering maps would cause a lot of controversy over some maps.
We already do this. All maps have a set amount of stat point gain depending on the overall difficulty, and you know that.
But removing failnades as u say from the server at all without the exception of certain maps is crap imo.
Fire grenades and fail grenades are a core gameplay mechanic and will not be fully removed.
However, on some maps, mostly the really old school ones fire grenades have been disabled to make it easier for zombies to get to the humans.
That also goes for the fail grenades. Old school maps should have them. Try-hard maps shouldn't have them.

Bottom line is, that if there is a map that feels un-balanced and should be adjusted, it can always be reported and we will take action.

We already do this. All maps have a set amount of stat point gain depending on the overall difficulty, and you know that.
My point was made because the stats points are irrelevant to a lot of the server and entirely based on our judgement. I was trying to point out how problematic that would be on a large scale considering we don't even have that many categories of map right now. Then the other problem would be that staged maps with easy stages, why not enable failnades in general. I was trying to point out the flaw of categorizing by difficulty rather than adjusting settings per map like we do now. You nailed the point though. I just have different opinions, I'd honestly prefer a standard middle ground between fail nades and no fail nades. Something like Zuff was talking about today with failnades but the zombies are slowed down to give the humans chance. The problem is imo, (Backy has summed this up perfectly before) there is absolutely no risk in throwing a nade, as the zombies get no counter play, and nades aren't just a gun, they are a special weapon. Napalm nades are cool but give the humans a massive advantage, especially on the try hard maps where correct item usage will often be enough to help a lot. Either way I'm not particularly against keeping fail nades off, it's just that I think we could come up with a solution that provides unique mechanics for unloze and pleases a lot of people (I.e. the slowmo failnade idea potentially)

Reactions: Migza
Maps that are excessively difficult to begin with, should not have any other autistic settings that push the difficulty even further. Maps that are difficult to begin with will already have a high loss rate, which easily drains team morale. Adding a layer of failnades round losses further kills that morale, increasing the possibility of that the map will eventually be set as "event only" or "never attempted again". Lose too much and people wont even play the map anymore out of negative reputation. For excessively difficult maps, good round are hard to come by such as having a high number of survivors midway though the map. If a failnade creates a loss within this sort of round, the event might as well be considered as over, shattering the hopes of players at the most positive moment. For easier maps people can handle the extra losses, but for harder ones, enough is enough for them. If a team is tryharding, no way in hell are they going to think an random loss by failnades is funny, and thus enabling this sort of thing on hard maps simply prioritizes one troublemaker over the vast majority of players. Its no different than trolling wall and killing off half the players in some cases.

Reactions: Glacius Verglas
they do add something humorous
When you lead on a map and the team is good and tryharding, there's always one noob, who, either on purpose or without it, spoils everything, every effort you make. And there's nothing "humorous" about it. You will have to repeat this level from the very beginning, and it makes you bored and annoyed. Sometimes I want to flip the table and fucking disconnect, especially when I get a good and important item in a bhop/strafe/toss struggle and a noob ruins all your efforts with a single failnade thrown thoughtlessly.
No, this isn't "humorous" at all. This is cancer.

Failnades are funny only in cases, when there is no tryhard at all, or the map is too easy. If you want to make the server harder, then bring back I3D settings.

All input above is valid. I would however suggest that serveradmins (jenz and anyone else?) will make a good analysis of how many maps/ servertime is generally without 'knockback' grenades. Cos at the moment it does feel like Unloze is without them all the time. I think less maps should be 'named tryhard'.

Also do not forget that using the nades to your advantage as a zombi was a skill. Something that has been taken away now and makes it less fun to play as a zombi. And wenn people dont enjoy playing zombi anymore you basically break the fundamentals of the game itself.

My opinion, it was a false decision, going against the majority of the vote aswell and will not improve the game mechanics. Sorry for my outspoken opinion but thats kind of my job.

All input above is valid. I would however suggest that serveradmins (jenz and anyone else?) will make a good analysis of how many maps/ servertime is generally without 'knockback' grenades. Cos at the moment it does feel like Unloze is without them all the time. I think less maps should be 'named tryhard'.

Also do not forget that using the nades to your advantage as a zombi was a skill. Something that has been taken away now and makes it less fun to play as a zombi. And wenn people dont enjoy playing zombi anymore you basically break the fundamentals of the game itself.

My opinion, it was a false decision, going against the majority of the vote aswell and will not improve the game mechanics. Sorry for my outspoken opinion but thats kind of my job.

Basically be careful if Martin is a zombie and if you throw a nade in his direction, he will somehow jump a huge distance and get many failnade kills. :bobross: