How to Map For ZE?

tom13king

Retired Admin
Dec 26, 2016
I have an idea for a ZE map but have no experience in mapping. I'm aware of tutorials for basic mapping, but it's the ZE specifics I'm wondering about. I've heard that ZE is a plugin on the server, but I don't know what exactly the mapper has to do and what I can leave to the server. Any help would be appreciated.

The ze plugin handle pretty much everything.

Just consider that Humans are in the CT team, and zombie are in the Terrorist team.
When creating holds, you can use filter_activator_team to make stuff only triggereable by a specific team.

Boss are either made with a func_breakable or func_physbox.
There are 2 diferents boss:
- 1 hp per hit boss, which work using a math_counter to count the boss hp, and to subtract 1 everytime the physbox take a damage (OnHealthChanged). The boss die when the counter reach 0 (it trigger OnHitMax)
- the health parameter of the breakable/physbox. In this case, each weapon does different damage. The boss die when the physbox / breakable reach 0 health (it trigger OnBreak)
Boss hp adapt based on the amount of player. Usually at the entrance of the boss room, there is a trigger that Add to the counter / AddHealth to the physbox.

Levels use a property of few entities that dont reset when a new round start. We use that to keep track of some math_counter value, and to trigger the corresponding level. I wont go too much in detail for now.

Ask if you need to know anything else

That's very helpful, thanks. The map's just an idea now and if it ever gets made it will probably be months before it's ready due to upcoming exams, but I'll be sure to keep all that in mind.

I have one question: at two points in my map I will have vehicle chases, one in speedboats and the other on a train. How do you show movement without making the map 10 miles long, and how do you switch from leaving the pier/station to a stretch of canal/tracks? In a user-made DOOM map once I noticed the map was about 150m long but you teleported back to the start continually, but that seems too likely to glitch badly. Another option I thought could be a sliding environment that repeats continually, but I don't know how to do that or how to show moving away from the pier/station.

*Edit* As I'm mapping straight from a source material, there are custom models that will eventually be necessary. If I can't find the models online (GameBanana?) is it worth trying to create the models myself or asking someone to do them for me?

Last edited:
I have one question: at two points in my map I will have vehicle chases, one in speedboats and the other on a train. How do you show movement without making the map 10 miles long, and how do you switch from leaving the pier/station to a stretch of canal/tracks? In a user-made DOOM map once I noticed the map was about 150m long but you teleported back to the start continually, but that seems too likely to glitch badly. Another option I thought could be a sliding environment that repeats continually, but I don't know how to do that or how to show moving away from the pier/station.
I am not a mapping expert, but have you looked ze_ut2004_convoy_v2_2_1.bsp? it looks like the team is moving, but its the background that is moving. Same method is used at the end of alien vs predator.

I am not a mapping expert, but have you looked ze_ut2004_convoy_v2_2_1.bsp? it looks like the team is moving, but its the background that is moving. Same method is used at the end of alien vs predator.

How do you transition from the start point (where the pier/station you started at is visible but you are going further away) to the stretch of canal/tracks themselves (where you can no longer see the rest of the map)? Would you tp to a new section?

The most basic example of map with moving background is ka_train.

The normal map + the 3d skybox allow your world to look way larger than it actually is.

as mentioned decompile some maps that are using moving backgrounds and try to copy how other people made it work